Saturday, July 10, 2010

Into the woods I go


There is nothing like a good trail run. The cool breeze rushes by as arms brush up against tree branches.  The birds are chirping creating natures music, and the sound of water rustling down its way is never too far off.  The little ups and downs always make you feel less human and more like some animal bounding through a winding way. Sometimes it is so still that your mind is clear and you are aware of your surroundings. Sometimes your mind is full of thoughts that take you away and back to memories and experiences.

"Running like a wild man or woman through the woods nurtures the soul.
Trail running satisfies a primal need for movement through nature, presumably left over from our days as hunters. When things spin out of control in an age of iPads and Droids, running in the woods is one thing we can count on to be pretty much the same as it’s always been."

This great quote comes from and article by Matt Frazier I read on zenhabits.net(ok so I found it doing research on Zen for my east asian class).
Not only does it fill this Primal need, but I helps us runners to feel more hard core! I mean it is quite the compliment to be running one a trail and have someone you don't know tell you that you are hard core! Well, I don't mean to sound speddy, but mostly I just wanted to write about something I love to do! I am grateful I have been given a body that allows me to run because it is great!

Caveat: Probably only runners will understand this post, I apologize for the target audience selection!

No comments:

Post a Comment